Dashwood Construction Ltd (DCL) is a residential and general construction company located on Salt Spring Island, part of the Southern Gulf Islands located in the Salish Sea waters between Vancouver - Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island -Victoria, British Columbia Canada.
- Full service general contracting and consultation.
- Custom homes
- General contracting
- Project management
- Renovation and additions
- At Dashwood Construction quality and accuracy are the bywords.
- Our goal at Dashwood Construction is to use our expertise and experience to bring the dreams of our clients to a reality. We are committed to quality, precision and integrity.
Don Dashwood and family moved to Salt Spring Island in 1976, in search of a better community and a place to fulfill the dream of creating a career in Custom Home construction. Don’s background as an estimator and project manager in steel construction gave him solid skills to bring to this new direction.
His ability to prepare proper budgets and schedules soon gave him the lead over the many available carpenters and contractors. Clients began to recognize his talent and reliability and his reputation grew. Solid working relationships have always given them confidence, which led to that wonderful Salt Spring “word of mouth” recommendations.
Steve Dashwood began his career in by apprenticing with Don, graduating Salt Spring Senior Secondary. Over a five-year period he built a base of knowledge and skills as he quickly excelled in carpentry and all aspects of construction.
Steve began art studies in 1996 at Emily Carr College of Art & Design, achieving a Diploma of Fine Art with awards 1990.
In 1992 the lure of booming construction, Steve moved with his young family to Whistler B.C.
There were many opportunities to put his artistic construction skills to the test, working with several custom house contractors.
In 1997 Steve returned to Salt Spring Island where he was welcomed back into Dashwood Construction as Leading Partner, to carry the company into the future and has now created a home for himself and his Family.
We are proud of our record of working cooperatively with owners and owner’s representatives on a wide variety of projects.
Our work history consists primarily of custom homes, renovations and additions widely ranging in size from modest renovations to extensive projects, such as exquisitely detailed homes designed by world renowned architects. We are well known for our commitment to our customers and have a long standing reputation for attention to detail.
Dashwood Construction creates not only beautiful homes, but happy satisfied neighbors.
Some of the memorable past projects
- 1980 - Mr. & Mrs. Yardley Suite, Decks & Solarium
- 1981 - Mr. & Mrs. Gosnell House to lock-up
- 1982 - Mr. & Mrs. Madsen House to lock-up
- 1982 - Mr. & Mrs. Lang Addition
- 1983 - Mr. McCartie Bullock Estate Renovations
- 1983 - Mr. & Mrs. Hewitson 5800 sq ft Turn-key House
- 1984 - Gulf Is. Elementry School 2 Classroom Renovations
- 1985 - Dr. & Mrs. Warren Addition & Renovation
- 1986 - Lady Minto Hospital New Concrete Foundations
- 1987 - Mr.& Mrs. Jim Robson Galiano House to lock-up
- 1988 - Mr. Little Addition & Renovations
- 1989 - Mrs. D. Foster 6000 sq ft Turn-key house
- 1990 - Dr. C. Lewis Addition & Renovation
View 'Our Work' to view some select projects.
- National Home Warranty Program Ltd. - License #23116
- Salt Spring Island Builders and Contractors Association
- Salt Spring Island Chamber of Commerce
- Dashwood Construction is a father and son company that has been working in general building construction in the Southern Gulf Islands since 1977.
Steve started with Don, after graduating GISS. Building houses with DCL for 5 years working his way up to senior carpenter.
From 1986-1990 Steve attended Emily Carr College of Art and Design obtaining a Diploma of Fine Art, further expanding on his visual and creative interests.
In 1991 Steve decided to follow booming construction to Whistler, B.C. He worked with several contracting companies building custom homes, and expanded his building knowledge and expertise by learning to operate heavy equipment / backhoe and excavators.
In 1997 he returned to Salt Spring Island, and his roots with Dashwood Construction.
Constantly updating his knowledge base with new green technologies and building practises through seminars and workshops.
- Don Dashwood founded Dashwood Construction in 1977 after moving with his family to Salt Spring Island in 1976.
Don left behind a 14 year position in construction estimating for the steel fabricating company Royal City Ironworks in New Westminster, British Columbia. He was ready to start a company of his own and enjoy the beauty of Island life.
Over the 32 years that Don has been a General Contractor on Salt Spring Island he has had the opportunity to head up some very special projects.